Review : Shala (School), a Marathi Movie
As usual with cinema based on famous book, book is much better to read. Book is soft love story and story moves with subtle pace. Movie lacks this in particular. It seems like director has chosen few incidence, his favorites, and shot them to make movie. Technical side is embarrassment, again as usual with Marathi movie. Editing, camera, sound, photography is not up-to the mark.
Poor script. Many characters are not quite developed as in book. Its difficult in 2 hour movie, I can understand. Then I dont think director would be able to justify the character played by Amruta Khanvilkar. Sometimes viewer (who have read the book) may not be able to find the references for some incidences, while some important ones are missing in the cinema. Characters appear out of blue. (etc. Mahesh).
- Pretty good casting. Full marks. It cant be better.
- Everybody has performed and makes justice to the character. Lead characters, Joshya and Shirodkar are "fantabulous". Anshuman Joshi, playing the hero,carries huge potential. Ketaki Mategaonkar looks sweet and gorgeous, has perfect face for nostalgic moments. Devika Daftardar ("Bendrin"), Ketan Pawar ("Surya") elevates the benchmark of supporting actors.
- OK for those who dont want to or had not read the book.
- Good song. Probably omitted from theater release. Watched on you tube.
- 2 Marks for perfect casting, 1 for their acting and 0.5 for THE ATTEMPT. After reading such nice books, every reader would fill to direct his/her own movie.
-1 for making such attempt a mess. After watching movie, I think its over-rated one.
The posters removed by Joshi and his friends are printed using typical MS wordart. May be more, if I could watch it at home on DVD.
Verdict:In a nutshell: Better to buy book than wasting money in theater. Cinema could have been much better