|Indira Gandhi Park, Rourkela (Odisha)|
|Condition of the bear tells it all !|
Wandering Destination: Indira Gandhi Park (IGP), Rourkela
IGP is one of the three recreation parks Rourkela has, developed and maintained by Rourkela Steel Plant.
Spread, location, and approach:
- Park is spread over 50 acres of land.
- The location of the said park is adjacent to Ring Road and Main road leads to Traffic Chowk from Sector – 2 and Sector – 4 respectively. It is located near to sector-2 bus stand.
- From railway station, share auto can drop right in the front of the IGP gate for 10 rupees. Private buses also run on the same route.
|Worker feeding fish to crocodiles|
It has its own small zoo.
Common animals: Bear, Neelgai, Spotted dear, Crocodile, Rabbit etc.
Common birds: Peacock, Variety of parrots, Fowls, Ibis, storks etc.
|Hand of steel|
|Peacock - prime attraction of the zoo|
2. "Hand-of-steel" sculpture
"The Hands of Steel" or the "Ten Million Monument" was designed by Vijay Acquilla and made at the initiative of Dr. P L Agarwal.
|Pond inside the park, surrounded by the pathway and the toy train. Pond has boating facility.|
|Musical fountain,board shows the timing of the show|
3. Indira Gandhi pond:
A small lake inside the park with a boating facility.
4. Toy trains:
This train meant for children runs around the pond.
5. Musical Fountains:
Every day musical fountains are switched on in the evening. The show runs for half an hour. It can be enjoyed sitting in the lawns nearby.
|Top of Doll museum building|
6. Doll museum:
Collection of variety of dolls. It is situated in one of the corner of the park. Timing of the doll museum is still a mystery for me, as I failed to catch it open on two occasions.
7. Rose garden:
It is a season attraction. Roses are planted in November and flowers January onward to last for next two months.
|Rose Garden being prepared for the next cultivation|
|Spectacularly backlit tree photographed on a late morning in October|
- Lawns are well maintained.
- Enough benches to sit
- Two food courts for snacks, mostly packed food and beverages.
Timings and Entry fees:
- Zoo is not properly maintained. Strong feeling to liberate the animals arises after looking at the conditions. Small, untidy and unprofessionally designed cabins must be replaced by better ones.
- No drinking water facility apart from the food court.
- Doll museum timings depends upon the worker there, he has his own way to do so.
- Park opens at 8 AM in the morning, too late for exercise and summer days in Rourkela.
|Bridge on ring road out side the main entrance of the the IG park is the landmark|
|Main entrance to the IG park|
|Flowers in IG park|
|Flowers in IG park|